POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Overlaping objects with different ior values : Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values
From: Micha Riser
Date: 24 Jul 2002 12:58:30
Message: <3d3edcb6@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> One thing that has been bothering me is the "glass of water" type
> situation...I'm not sure POV handles it correctly or how to model it
> correctly.

AFAIR the discussions about this problem the suggested why to do this is
make the water overlap the glass. Because leaving a space between will
cause multiple reflections. However I don't know if the overlaping is
handled as wished in that case.

>> I see now that overlaping of transparent object in union cannot be
>> checked at parsing time and checking it during rendering would things
>> slow down. But in the case of merge/intersection a warning at parsing
>> time could be issued.
>
> It is no more possible in those cases than it is in a union. They would
> have to be checked at render time just like unions.
> The best you could do is check if the bounding boxes overlap and give a
> "possible overlap" warning if more than one object is transparent, but
> that would happen so often it would be completely useless.

It is in the nature of merges to overlap.Otherwise you could just as well
use union. It is even more in the nature of intersection memebers to
overlap ... otherwise you have a null object. So it would be natural to
assume at parsing time that merge/intersection do overlap and always issue
a warning when iors are different.

So forcing merge/intersection to have one single ior would not make the sdl
weaker because in that case where the merges do not overlap the user should
have used union anyways.

- Micha

--
http://objects.povworld.org - the POV-Ray Objects Collection